JOHN N. VOURNAKIS, PH.D.
• Marine Polysaccharides (current research):
- development of Medical Products for Hemostasis, Wound Healing & Cancer biochemical and biophysical studies of marine
- development of medical devices for applications as hemostatic agents, wound healing promoters, and for other medical indications.
- development of cancer vaccines and controlled release drug delivery systems using polysaccharide biopolymers as formulation matrices.
• RNA Structure Analysis (former research interest):
- role of messenger RNA structure in the regulation of gene expression.
- ribozyme structure and its role in ribozyme function.
- ribozyme design based on RNA structure predictive capabilities by computer methods.
- RNA structure in evolution.
• DNA - Drug Interactions (former research interest):
- footprint analysis of small molecular weight anti-tumor drug binding to DNA
- DNA-specific drug design based on drug-DNA interaction studies.